Sharing a nanny
Nannyshares are becoming an increasing popular way of making nanny employment more affordable and accessible for many families. Nannies can often work for two or more families, by caring for the children all at the same time or by splitting the week between them. It’s not necessary for families to know each other however good communication between all parties is recommended.
It is important to remember that however many families the nanny is working for each will be considered an individual employer and as such have the individual responsibilities, even if all the children are being care for at the same time. It makes things much more straightforward if one family were to leave the share.
Things to think about:
Tax and Paying Nanny
Both/all families will need to register as employers with HMRC and operate a PAYE Scheme. A nanny payroll provider will be able to assist with this. All families need to each pay at least the legal minium wage.
Contract of Employment
Each employer should have their own contract with the nanny outlining all the terms of employment.
Employers Liability Insurance
A legal requirement and all employers should ensure they have their own policy.
Statutory Holiday Entitlement is 5.6 weeks per year, including the Bank Holidays. Talk to the other family (or families) and the nanny about holidays — a practical and fair approach is for the nanny to decide on two weeks and the families in the share to decide between them on the remaining holiday.
Making Nanny Shares Easy
Childcare.co.uk have teamed up with Nannytax, the UK's leading nanny payroll provider. How Nannytax can help:
• A dedicated nannyshares team who can navigate the complexities of splitting the costs and ensuring each family pays the correct amount over to HMRC.
• Nannytax can help to split the nanny’s tax code so each family employing the nanny has a proportionate share of her tax free allowance (NB. The nanny’s permission is required to do so)
• Nannytax Legal can assist with amending the Nannytax Contract of Employment to your requirements
• If you find that you require Employer Liability Insurance, Nannytax can provide one through Enable Insurance Services.
Request more information
Don’t have an account? Register free today
Create a free account
Sign up in one minute, no payment details required.
Member benefits include:
- Add a free profile detailing your requirements or services
- Search by postcode for local members near you
- Read and reply to messages for free