What insurance do you need to work as a childminder?

The EYFS states in requirement 3.63. ‘Providers must carry public liability insurance.’ It is, therefore, a legal requirement to have appropriate public liability insurance to protect YOU and the children and families who access your service.

It is up to each provider to look at the available childminder insurance options and decide which one will be most appropriate for them. Childcare.co.uk provide a free childminder insurance policy to our gold members.

Home and Buildings Insurance

It is also important to have appropriate home and buildings insurance. You should check that your policy covers you for accidental damage caused by childminded children or their families. If it doesn’t cover you, you should understand and accept the exclusions or look for a different provider.

Motor Insurance

To comply with EYFS requirement 3.66 which states, ‘Vehicles in which children are being transported, and the driver of those vehicles, must be adequately insured’ if you are going to use your car for your business you must have Business Class 1 insurance added to your car insurance policy. This might incur an extra cost.

More gold membership benefits

In addition to free childminder insurance, Childcare.co.uk gold membership gives you access to FREE documentation, hundreds of Information Guides about all aspects of your provision, a range of training courses from companies such as Educare, Virtual College and Laser Learning and much more. You can read more details on the comprehensive package of gold member benefits.

Don’t have an account? Register free today

Create a free account

Sign up in one minute, no payment details required.

Member benefits include:

  • Add a free profile detailing your requirements or services
  • Search by postcode for local members near you
  • Read and reply to messages for free
  • Optional paid services available