Who do you need to inform about your Childminding business?

Before you register as a childminder you must inform:

Mortgage Company

If you have a mortgage on your house, you must inform your mortgage company that you intend childminding from the property. Some mortgage companies charge an extra fee if you run a business from your home.

Rental Company

If your house is rented, you must have written permission from your landlord before you start childminding from the property. Some rental houses have clauses within the lease stating that a business cannot be run from the premises.

Local Authority

Some childminders are required to ask their Local Authority for planning permission before setting up, especially if 2 childminders want to work together from their home. You will find more information about planning permission requirements here – application fees vary.

When you are registered as a childminder you must inform:

Environmental Health

Ofsted will inform your local Environmental Health Officer (EHO) when you set up as a childminder because it is likely that you will be providing food for childminded children. Some EHOs visit childminders to check they are complying with Safer Food Better Business for childminders.


You need to register with HMRC as self-employed.

National insurance

Your class 2 and any class 4 national insurance contributions will be paid along with any tax you owe at the end of the financial year.

House and buildings insurance

You must inform your buildings and contents insurance company when you start childminding. They might increase your premium or inform you that they cannot cover you for accidental damage caused by childminded children.

Car insurance

If you are going to use your car for carrying childminded children, you will need to add Class 1 Business insurance to your policy. This might incur an extra fee.

Any benefits you receive

Your benefits – if you receive them – will change when you start earning money as a childminder. It is important that you inform any benefits agencies with which you are currently registered as soon as possible so you are not over-paid.

Don’t have an account? Register free today

Create a free account

Sign up in one minute, no payment details required.

Member benefits include:

  • Add a free profile detailing your requirements or services
  • Search by postcode for local members near you
  • Read and reply to messages for free
  • Optional paid services available