Oral Health Resources
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS, 2021) has been updated to include the requirement: ‘The provider must promote the good health, including the oral health, of children attending the setting.’ EYFS 2021 requirement 3.45, statutory from 1st September 2021.
This has led to some confusion over whether early years providers will be expected to brush children’s teeth and how Ofsted will inspect oral health.
NHS England does provide tooth brushing advice, but it is guidance and Ofsted have stated that they will not expect providers to brush teeth or look in children’s mouths.
The expectation will be to support children’s oral health by, for example:
• Reading books about tooth brushing.
• Singing songs and rhymes to encourage tooth brushing awareness.
• Sharing information with parents about local dentists and the importance of good oral health.
• Including healthy teeth role play in children’s activities.
• Promoting healthy eating and drinking in the setting and at home.
Oral Health Resources for Childcare Providers
Here are some resources from Childcare.co.uk to support you to comply with the requirement to promote good oral health. We hope you find them useful.
Don’t have an account? Register free today
Sign up in one minute, no payment details required.
Member benefits include:
- Add a free profile detailing your requirements or services
- Search by postcode for local members near you
- Read and reply to messages for free
- Optional paid services available