Private Tutor in Oxford
Female Member since Apr 2019 Last Updated Oct 2021 Last Login 18 May 2022
I am an experienced Primary Teacher, with nine years of experience teaching in schools, and further experience of teaching online and 1:1 with children aged between three and thirteen years old.
I am a fully qualified and experienced primary school teacher. I have worked for supply agencies and on a temporary basis in many nurseries and childcare settings, as well as working as an after school nanny and babysitting extensively for children aged 6 months to 12 years old, including overnight.
I have worked a lot with children on the Autism Spectrum, both in school and due to living with my friend and her son who is on the spectrum and providing relief often.
My focus as a teacher is on starting with the child and adapting my teaching to suit their needs and interests. I do not use worksheets, but create my own resources and lesson plans based on what I learn about my students. I believe learning is at its best when learning through play and creativity, so always encourage my students to take part in projects based on merging their interests with their needs through creative writing, storytelling, cross curriculum projects, etc.
Some examples of my recent students:
- A 13 year old sci-fi fan learning English as a Second Language - He is currently writing a short story based on fantasy illustrations he chose
- A 10 year old who is learning Spanish at school but struggles with self-esteem - We used my recent travels in Central America as a starting point for discussions about the Humanities, resulting in her writing a nonfiction report on Honduras and Guatemala, and practising some Spanish along the way!
- An 8 year old passionate about saving the planet and endangered animals but not confident with writing - We researched facts about endangered animals together, then wrote both a nonfiction text about them, and a short story about a character trying to save the world!
- An 8 year old Spanish speaker at a low level of English who loves singing, teaching through songs and actions
- Early Years and children working at a lower communication and language level - I use puppets, songs, stories and games in every lesson to engage them in hands-on, stimulating learning experiences based on their specific interests.
Special Education Needs
I also have extensive experience working with Special Needs, particularly communication needs such as Autism. I am passionate about language development and giving all children equal opportunities, through accounting for their requirements and equipping them to deal with the outside world.
- Worked as a Support Worker for Autism Family Support with children aged 8 to 17 years old.
- Taught in several schools with high SEN needs, including ASD, Down’s Syndrome and Global Delay
- TalkBoost communication training
- Lived for several years with a child with Autism who attends a Special Needs School
- Use of puppets for storytelling and language development, I recently began a handmade puppet business to aid teachers and parents
As a believer that everyone learns best while enjoying themselves and following their own interests, I love the Forest School approach, and believe it is something everyone should experience! Given current constraints, I am keen to ensure that children are still able and keen to access natural environments, and would love to encourage this using online classes. During classes, we will learn and practise skills such as:
- creating puppets and characters using natural materials
- using ‘spotter’ sheets and books to go for sensory walks
- telling stories and reading books about the outdoors
- learning to lash sticks to create wooden frames, journey sticks and more
(please note, additional materials may be needed for some of these activities, but they would be communicated before the session and would only be basic materials such as wool, buckets, string, pegs etc)
Please get in touch if you like the sound of a tutor who has your child’s special skills and interests at heart!
I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies and have done extensive study in the area of child development. I am a qualified Level 3 Forest School Leader and have a basic First Aid qualification as well as an Outdoors First Aid qualification.
I am available on Thursdays and Fridays.
|Last Updated: 01/10/2021|
- Tutoring from £40.00 per hour
Online tuition - £40/hr
Face to face tuition - £40/hr for sessions of one hour. Discounted rates for sessions of 2+ hours.
- Reference (added 15/09/2020)
No reviews have been submitted for this Private Tutor.
You must be a registered parent and logged in to leave a review.
If you don't have an account then Register Free now.
This profile has been produced from information provided to us by the user. We have not verified or confirmed the accuracy of any of the information and members should undertake their own vigorous checks and references. Please ensure you read our Safety Advice and information on how to Check Childcare Provider Documents.